Nu Metro Cinemas, South Africa’s premium cinema operator, has signed an amended agreement with RealD Inc. (NYSE: RLD) to install a total of up to 100 RealD 3D Cinema Systems. Nu Metro Cinemas currently has forty-four auditoriums equipped with RealD 3D technology and plans to install a further forty-one RealD 3D Cinema Systems in the immediate future. Additional RealD 3D installations will occur over the next 18 months as the cinema chain converts all its cinema screens to digital.
Content Executive of Nu Metro Cinemas Mark Harris said, “With over a quarter of our cinemas already converted to digital, the remainder will be completed within the next 12 to 18 months.”
He added: “This extended relationship with RealD enables us to deliver the world’s most cutting edge 3D technology, so our customers experience a fully immersive entertainment experience every time.”
“Nu Metro Cinemas is a progressive circuit with a focus on delivering a premium entertainment experience. From Africa’s largest RealD 3D screen at Nu Metro Montecasino to Privé seating for a luxury cinema experience, this expansion of 3D capabilities will allow more moviegoers than ever to experience all of the upcoming blockbuster movies in RealD 3D,” said Robert Mayson, managing director of RealD Europe Limited.
Nu Metro Cinemas are Africa’s leading 3D cinema chain boasting the following:
- Africa’s largest RealD 3D screen at Nu Metro Montecasino in Johannesburg (a massive 77 foot screen).
- Africa’s first all-digital and RealD 3D enabled Complex at Nu Metro Emperors Palace (opened in November 2009).
- Select 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ matches were broadcast live and in RealD 3D to fourteen Nu Metro Cinemas around the country in June 2010.
- Bokkie, The South African Rugby Union’s mascot was seen in a short film (in July 2010), which was shown exclusively in ALL Nu Metro RealD 3D cinemas across the country as part of the pre-show reel before each 3D movie started.
- The song Should We Fight Back - from the album Stardust Galaxies (The Parlotones) – was seen exclusively in all Nu Metro RealD 3D Cinemas across the country in August 2010 as part of the pre-show reel before Step Up 3D.
- On the 16th of July 2011 ‘Dragonflies & Astronauts’ featuring The Parlotones, was broadcast live from The Teatro at Montecasino in 3D. This transmission
- a world first – was beamed live via satellite to Nu Metro RealD 3D cinemas around the country.
Issued by Heather Vorster