20 Schools Make it to Filmit Final Round
Filmit has announced that 20 schools have made it to the final round of the Filmit Film competition for high schools.
Across South Africa, a total of 35 schools have entered the competition. Although 70 film concepts were pitched, only 20 of the best film concepts proceeded to the next round. The panellist of judges curated the various film concepts by selecting the “twenty they believe have entertainment value, is doable, evoked interest and should make for a good short film,” said the Filmit team.
“All judges compiled a short video in which they share their professional opinion, observation, and subsequent recommendations on what the 20 approved film groups should focus on when heading into the mentorship programme in preparation for the making of their films,” says the Filmit team.
The aim of the competition is to:
- Unravel youth potential
- Illustrate and promote upcoming filmmakers
- Help blossom youth through online training and skills development as well as connecting with industry professionals in the film and media scene
Contestants who have advanced to the final round will receive one-on-one mentorship via Zoom with five actors from the KykNet TV series Suidooster. These actors include the likes of Marco Spaumer, Dean Smith, Esther von Waltsleben, Jawaahier Petersen and Eden Classens. Each actor will be assigned four schools who will mentor the students films during development stages.
All schools who have entered the competition are encouraged by the Filmit team to “up their game” and enhance their understanding of film and concepts. The schools will also gain a pre-recorded mentorship video on) on pre-production, production and post-production of films will be shared via the Paul Roos Gymnasium YouTube channel.
The winner of the best film will receive a cash prize of R10 000 whilst winners of sub-categories, will receive a cash of R1000.
Below is a list of school projects that have made it to the next round:
- A Magician Never Reveals its Secrets by Curro Durbanville, South Africa
- Behind the Surfboard by CBC St John’s, South Africa
- Cascade by Rondebosch Boys’ High, South Africa
- Conflict: A Journey to Passion by Worcester Gymnasium, South Africa
- Duwweltjie by Paul Roos Gymnasium, South Africa
- Gedagtes Maak Saak by Kalahari High School, South Africa
- Interpreter Gone Wrong by Simon’s Town High School, South Africa
- Search by Fairmont High School, South Africa
- Theatre Kid by Bloemhof Girls’ High, South Africa
- The Art of Colour by St Georges Diocesan School, Namibia
- The Gingerbread Man by Afrikaanse Hoër Meisieskool, South Africa
- The Key by Paarl Boys’ High, South Africa
- Three Shades of Agony by Jan van Riebeeck High School, South Africa
- Too Bright to Shine by Mitchell’s Plain High School, South Africa
- Toue en Kloue by Parkdene High School, South Africa
- Trigger on the Beach by Charlie Hofmeyr High School, South Africa
- U Yolo #Happiness by Desmond Mpilo Tutu High School, South Africa
- What Do You Stand For? by Table View High School, South Africa
- What Drove Her to Madness by Groote Schuur High School, South Africa
- Zombie Blowout by Waterkloof High School, South Africa