Are you next in line to be Sasol’s New Signature in art?
Sasol New Signature Art Competition is South Africa’s longest-running competition of its kind and entries have officially opened! Don’t miss your chance to break into the mainstream art sphere.
Any South African artist over the age of 18 who has not yet held a solo exhibition is welcome to enter the annual Sasol New Signature Art Competition. Entrants who have held a solo exhibition for academic reasons are welcomed as well. Artists are required to submit up to 2 artworks in all artistic genres. The competition allows free reign for entrants. Submitted artworks can capture any topic, narrative, them, concern, and issue.
Sasol New Signatures Chairperson Pfunzo Sidogi explained: “Art competitions like the Sasol New Signatures are critical enablers for not only incentivising emerging artists, but also for giving these artists access to the mainstream art market. We have seen how artists who participate in this competition go on to exhibit and promote their artworks at other prominent industry showcases like local, and at times international, art fairs and mega-exhibitions/biennales”.
Up and coming artists with winning ambitions are invited to submit artworks at one of the various collection points across the country between Tuesday, 7 September and Wednesday, 8 September 2021, from 10h00 and 16h00. Below are the collection points:
- Bloemfontein: Oliewenhuis Art Museum, 16 Harry Smith Street, Bloemfontein
- Cape Town: Art B Gallery, Library Centre, Carl van Aswegen Street, Bellville, Cape Town
- Durban: KZNSA Gallery, 166 Bulwer Road, Glenwood, Durban
- Johannesburg: FADA Building, Department of Visual Arts, University of Johannesburg, Bunting Road Campus, Auckland Park, Johannesburg
- Polokwane: The Polokwane Art Museum, Library Gardens, corner Grobler & Hans van Rensburg Street, Polokwane
- Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth): Bird Street Gallery – Nelson Mandela University, Bird Street Campus, 20 Bird Street, Central
- Pretoria: Pretoria Art Museum, corner Francis Baard (previously Schoeman) and Wessels Streets, Arcadia Park, Pretoria
The winning artist of the Sasol New Signatures Art Competition will be revealed on Wednesday, 10 November 2021. The winner will be awarded R100 000 and a solo exhibition at next year’s exhibition. Runner ups will be awarded receive R25 000 and the five merit award winners will each walk away with R10 000. The winning works will also be displayed at the Pretoria Art Museum from Thursday, 11 November 2021 to Sunday, 9 January 2022.
To find out more about the competition, you can visit www.sasolsignatures.co.za.