AFD Discipline Lecturer In Screenwriting & Learning Circle Coordinator Motion Picture Medium
Employment Type: Fixed Term
Salary: Based on experience
Location: AFDA Port Elizabeth Campus
Industry: Private Higher Education
Start date: As soon as possible
Reporting to: Learning Group Coordinator
AFDA (The School of the Creative Economy) is the leading school of its kind in South Africa, offering undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Motion Picture Medium, Live Performance, Business Innovation, and Technology. AFDA is a full member of CILECT, the association of the world’s major film and television schools. The AFDA values are passion, self-discipline, integrity, reliability, and humility.
AFDA is inviting applications for the position of Discipline Lecturer In Screenwriting & Learning Circle Coordinator Motion Picture Medium.
As the Lecturer and Learning Circle Coordinator, AFDA is looking for a committed and dedicated professional academic/industry professional to lecture and provide support to undergrad students in Motion Picture Medium as well as lecture screenwriting. The position requires someone with drive and initiative who is able to motivate students and guide them into their first 18 months at AFDA and lecture screenwriting to the second-year students.
The candidate needs to demonstrate a willingness to embrace AFDA’s unique pedagogy which is the basis of the interdisciplinary teaching at AFDA. There is also a strong emphasis on cultural relevance within the teaching, and the need to help the students identify and develop a distinctive African voice to their productions. In this way, we hope to be able to contribute to nation-building and build the foundations for a sustainable local creative industry.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lecturer 1st and 2nd year BA Motion Picture Medium students
- Conducting student consultations and reflective meetings
- Preparing and developing content and lesson plans for each term
- Contributing to the registration for the term’s assessment tasks.
- Working with counterparts to ensure parity across all AFDA campuses on term outcomes
- Attendance registers and class management administration
- Guiding a group of 25 to 30 students as a learning circle coordinator through the term
- Deliver lectures as per AFDA’s requirements.
- Lecturing 2nd year BA Motion Picture Medium students
- Acquire and maintain an up-to-date understanding of the BA program by completing the AFDA onboarding process and attending all staff enrichment sessions.
- Have an advanced understanding of the theoretical and practical aspects of their discipline curriculum.
- Conduct research to develop up-to-date lesson plans and lecture content for their discipline.
- Deliver lectures according to timetabled sessions and do the required consultations.
- Be knowledgeable in all contact and online pedagogical approaches as they apply to their discipline and practice them appropriately according to the designated requirements.
- Have a thorough understanding of all assessment instruments and use them appropriately for all learning activities.
- Manage their discipline students by ensuring that:
- Students understand the term’s assignments, assessments, and associated assessment instruments and deadlines.
- Students stay on track with the term’s deliverables through regular follow-ups where required.
- All facilities and equipment for the term’s teaching and the term’s projects are available, functional, and maintained.
- The term’s resources are adequately planned for
- All assignments are marked and all marks are submitted timeously to the Registry for moderation and report generation.
- Participate in working with counter-parts to ensure parity across all campuses on term outcomes and assessments.
- Participate in Quality Assurance and Quality Enhancement practices.
- Participate in all required marketing activities such as Open Days and consultations with prospective students where required.
- Willingness to adapt to AFDA’s curriculum, syllabus, schematics, and methodologies, and pedagogy.
- Willingness to adhere and embodies AFDA values.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other teaching staff.
- Excellent time and deadline management skills.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Basic computer literacy, inclusive of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to research independently
- Ability to manage a budget
- Ability to manage inventory of facilities and equipment.
- Ability to research and adapt to new developments in technology
- A high degree of professional competency in a Motion Picture discipline
- Highly developed organizational skills
- Maturity to handle a range of situations
- A meticulous and thorough nature
- An ability to work to tight deadlines
- Loyalty and a high level of confidentiality
- Honest and trustworthy – committed to high integrity of excellence.
- Culturally aware and sensitive
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (Honours) with a Motion Picture Medium discipline or skill.
- Established work experience in tertiary education.
- Industry and/or academic knowledge of Screenwriting at an industry level.
- Experience in the television/film and entertainment industry.
- AFDA employs candidates in line with the Employment Equity Act and as such preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from designated groups.
Closing date: 3rd May 2021
Applications must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date. Applicants wishing to apply for this position are required to submit:
- A letter of application and motivation, concisely detailing his/her suitability for the position.
- A comprehensive and up-to-date curriculum vitae.
All applications will be treated as highly confidential. Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. If you have not been contacted within 2 weeks after the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was not successful.