AFDA Programme Coordinator For Undergraduate Motion Picture Medium And Lecturer In Screenwriting (Year 3)
Employment Type: Fixed Term
Salary: Based on experience
Location: AFDA Port Elizabeth Campus
Industry: Private Higher Education
Start date: As soon as possible
AFDA (The School of the Creative Economy) is the leading school of its kind in South Africa, offering undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Motion Picture Medium, Live Performance, Business Innovation, and Technology. AFDA is a full member of CILECT, the association of the world’s major film and television schools. The AFDA values are passion, self-discipline, integrity, reliability, and humility.
AFDA is inviting applications for the position of a Programme Coordinator in Undergraduate Motion Picture Medium & Lecturer in Screenwriting (year 3)
Roles and Responsibilities
A Programme Coordinator is required to:
- Have a comprehensive knowledge of the program to ensure that the program is maintained throughout the delivery.
- Ensure that all prescribed curriculum and pedagogical strategies are delivered.
- Ensure that the prescribed program timetable and class attendance is maintained.
- Ensure that the prescribed program assignments and assessments are completed.
- Ensure that all prescribed term projects have been completed and that the associated facilities; equipment and budgets to achieve this are properly managed.
- Ensure that all program statutory requirements and reports are adhered to and completed.
A Lecturer in Screenwriting is required to:
- Lecturer 3rd year BA Motion Picture Medium students
- Acquire and maintain an up-to-date understanding of the BA program by completing the AFDA onboarding process and attending all staff enrichment sessions.
- Have an advanced understanding of the theoretical and practical aspects of their discipline curriculum.
- Conduct research to develop up-to-date lesson plans and lecture content for their discipline.
- Deliver lectures according to timetabled sessions and do the required consultations.
- Be knowledgeable in all contact and online pedagogical approaches as they apply to their discipline and practice them appropriately according to the designated requirements.
- Have a thorough understanding of all assessment instruments and use them appropriately for all learning activities.
- Manage their discipline students by ensuring that:
- Students understand the term’s assignments, assessments, and associated assessment instruments and deadlines.
- Students stay on track with the term’s deliverables through regular follow-ups where required.
- All facilities and equipment for the term’s teaching and the term’s projects are available, functional, and maintained.
- The term’s resources are adequately planned for
- All assignments are marked and all marks are submitted timeously to the Registry for moderation and report generation.
- Participate in working with counter-parts to ensure parity across all campuses on term outcomes and assessments.
- Participate in Quality Assurance and Quality Enhancement practices.
- Participate in all required marketing activities such as Open Days and consultations with prospective students where required.
Key Competencies [role associated]
- Willingness to adapt to AFDA’s curriculum, syllabus, schematics and methodologies and pedagogy
- Willingness to adhere and embody AFDA values
- Ability to work cooperatively with other teaching staff
- Excellent time and deadline management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Physically and emotionally well adaptable to change
- Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Inter-personal skills
- Ability to research independently
- Ability to manage a budget
- Ability to manage inventory of facilities and equipment
- The capacity to research and adapt to new developments in technology
Personal Attributes [role associated]
- Loyalty and a high level of confidentiality
- Maturity to handle a range of situations
- Honest and trustworthy – committed to high integrity of excellence
- A meticulous and thorough nature
- An ability to work to tight deadlines
- Willingness to support student development
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (Honours) with a Motion Picture Medium discipline or skill. A Master Degree will be preferred.
- Established work experience in tertiary education.
- Industry and/or academic knowledge of Screenwriting at an industry level. Industry and / or knowledge of the Film/Television and/or Performance industries
- Experience in the television/film and entertainment industry.
- AFDA employs candidates in line with the Employment Equity Act and as such preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from designated groups.
Closing date: 3rd May 2021
Applications must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date. Applicants wishing to apply for this position are required to submit:
- A letter of application and motivation, concisely detailing his/her suitability for the position.
- A comprehensive and up-to-date curriculum vitae.
All applications will be treated as highly confidential. Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. If you have not been contacted within 2 weeks after the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was not successful.