AFDA Senior Research Lecturer – deadline extended
AFDA (The School of the Creative Economy) is inviting applications for the position of a Research Lecturer reporting to the Program Co-ordinator of Motion Picture.
Employment Type: Lecturer
Salary: Based on experience
Location: Cape Town
Industry: Private Higher Education
Start date: As soon as possible
AFDA is looking for a committed and dedicated lecturer with the required academic experience to conceptualize, develop and deliver lectures that draw from a broad spectrum of the humanities, which is offered in the categories of narrative, performance, medium, aesthetics and business.
These theoretical inputs take the form of text analyses of a broad variety of entertainment products and the associated knowledge domains which inform them.
The aim of research studies/production course is to provide students with the critical insights to conceptualize entertainment products that are relevant to a broad spectrum of audiences.
The Senior Research lecturer will also oversee pre-production presentations of student work as well as the assessment of the final product.
The position requires someone with drive and initiative who is able to motivate and guide students to conceptualise engaging, entertaining and insightful works for a wide variety of exhibition platforms within the creative economies.
The candidate needs to demonstrate a willingness to embrace AFDA’s unique pedagogy which is the basis of the interdisciplinary teaching at AFDA.
There is also a strong emphasis on cultural relevance within the teaching, and the need to help the students identify and develop a distinctive African voice to their productions. In this way we hope to be able to contribute to nation building and build the foundations for a sustainable local creative industry.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Term curriculum & appropriate teaching strategies delivered
• Term curriculum delivered to appropriate NQF Level Descriptors
• Term teaching strategies developed & implemented
• Term lesson plans researched, prepared & delivered
Term classes, resources & student participation ensured
• Term learning requirements planned, staffed, delivered
• Term facilities & equipment requirements planned & delivered
• Term class learning participation ensured
Valid Term Assignments, Assessments & marks delivered
• Term Learning Narratives explained & assigned
• Valid Term Assignments & Assessments disseminated & delivered
• Term marks & moderation reports collected & delivered
Term projects & resources planned & delivered
• Term Projects planned & scheduled according to resources
• Term project facilities & equipment available, functional & maintained
• Term resources/tutors, budgets planned, allocated and maintained
Term Learning reviews completed & implemented
• Required term learning reports compiled & delivered
• Term learning statutory requirements adhered to & documented
• Term learning/tutorial reviews submitted & amendments implemented
• Willingness to adapt to AFDA’s curriculum, syllabus, schematics and methodologies and pedagogy.
• Willingness to adhere and embody AFDA values.
• Ability to work co-operatively with other teaching staff.
• Excellent time and deadline management skills.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Physically and emotionally well adaptable to change.
• Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite.
• Inter-personal skills.
• Ability to research independently.
• Ability to manage a budget.
• Ability to manage inventory of facilities and equipment.
• The capacity to research and adapt to new developments in technology.
• Loyalty and a high level of confidentiality.
• Maturity to handle a range of situations.
• Honest and trustworthy – committed to high integrity of excellence.
• A meticulous and thorough nature.
• An ability to work to tight deadlines.
• To show initiative.
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
• Culturally aware and sensitive.
• Willingness to support student development.
• Relevant Honours or Masters Degree.
• Established work experience in tertiary education.
• Industry and / or knowledge of the Film/Television and / or Performance industries.
• AFDA employs candidates in line with the Employment Equity Act and as such preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from designated groups.
Closing date: 7 March 2022 Applications must be submitted by email to Shana-lee Hess email@example.com by the closing date. Applicants wishing to apply for this position are required to submit:
1. A covering letter indicating his/her suitability for the position.
2. A comprehensive and up to date curriculum vitae with contact details included.
3. A list with 3 contactable references.
All applications will be treated as highly confidential. Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. If you have not been contacted within 2 weeks after the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was not successful.