Buildings and Maintenance Officer
Employment Type – Fixed
Industry – Private Higher Education
Salary – Based on experience
Start Date – ASAP
AFDA (The School of the Creative Economy) is the leading school of its kind in South Africa, offering undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Motion Picture Medium, Live Performance, Business Innovation and Technology. AFDA is a full member of CILECT, the association of the world’s major film and television schools. The AFDA values are passion, self-discipline, integrity, reliability and humility.
AFDA is inviting applications for the position of Buildings and Maintenance Officer on the Durban campus.
As the Buildings and Maintenance officer, AFDA is looking for a committed and dedicated professional to manage and run the on-campus Operations department. The applicant should have people and management skills and a thorough knowledge of construction and building maintenance. The ideal candidate will also possess knowledge and skills in IT, occupational health and safety and entertainment industry facilities and equipment.
The position requires someone who is organized, efficient and computer literate and interacts well with people. The successful candidate will demonstrate a willingness to embrace AFDA’s unique pedagogy, which is the basis of the interdisciplinary teaching at AFDA.
There is also a strong emphasis on cultural relevance within the teaching, and the need to help the students identify and develop a distinctive African voice to their productions. In this way, we hope to be able to contribute to nation-building and build the foundations for a sustainable local creative industry.
Roles and Responsibilities
1. Accommodate campus student & staff bodies in accordance with time table and space ratios requirements.
2. Provide all course & staff equipment and facilities in accordance with campus timetable and ratios requirements.
3. Maintain campus health & safety, training & image standards in accordance with requirements.
4. Maintain effective campus, facility & equipment, access, management and inventory control systems.
5. Maintain effective campus wifi, IT and archiving systems.
The specific roles and responsibilities include:
1. Ensure that venues and staff offices are available and equipped as per specification sheet and up to standard as per timetable requirements.
2. Ensure that Student & Lecturer experience feedback is encouraged, conducted and results communicated.
3. Ensure accurate budget management and compliance with finance and payment procedures.
4. Ensure that discipline equipment & facilities requirements are maintained for each year of study.
5. Ensure all equipment and facilities in good working order according to timetable needs.
6. Ensure all equipment & facilities ratio requirements are met on a termly basis.
7. Ensure Monthly OHS requirements are met and accurate records kept.
8. Ensure all relevant training is facilitated or provided in accordance with campus requirements.
9. Establish & Maintain Campus image requirements according to standards.
10. Maintain access control and management systems.
11. Maintain equipment access & security management systems.
12. Maintain accurate campus inventory and control systems.
13. Establish & maintain required campus Wi-Fi/network & server standards and systems, IT equipment and security systems as well as institutional data integrity.
14. Establish & maintain Industry research and knowledge in the field of work and contributions to the institution.
15. Establish & maintain required relationships and alliances to ensure the highest quality and cost-effectivity.
• Relevant qualifications in buildings and maintenance
• Established work experience in management ( 5 – 10 Years)
• Established work experience in buildings and maintenance
• Industry and / or knowledge of the Film/Television and / or Performance industries
• Drivers license and own transport essential.
• AFDA employs candidates in line with the Employment Equity Act and as such preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from designated groups
• A love for operations and logistics.
• A relevant degree and/or equivalent industry experience.
• Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
• Administrative skills.
• Ability to delegate tasks, follow up and general management of staff.
• Ability to work in a high stress, high pressure environment and adhere to strict deadlines.
• Ability to adapt to the AFDA outcomes-based methodology.
• Team work with other staff.
• Time and deadline management skills.
• Finance and budget management skills.
• A positive attitude.
• To maintain the functionality of the network and IT infrastructure.
• Ability to maintain operational equipment used in the student productions as well as the staff equipment.
• A background in film / television would be beneficial.
Closing date: 15th October 2021 Applications must be submitted by email to Leandri Leandri@afda.co.za and the Dean of AFDA Durban, Dr Janet van Eeden, firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date. Applicants wishing to apply for this position are required to submit:
1. A letter of application and motivation, concisely detailing his/her suitability for the position.
2. A comprehensive and up to date curriculum vitae.
All applications will be treated as highly confidential. Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. If you have not been contacted within 2 weeks after the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was not successful.