STUDENT AFFAIRS OFFICER
Employment Type – Fixed
Industry – Private Higher Education
Salary – Based on experience
Start Date – 1 October 2021
AFDA (The School of the Creative Economy) is the leading school of its kind in South Africa, offering undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Motion Picture Medium, Live Performance, Business Innovation and Technology. AFDA is a full member of CILECT, the association of the world’s major film and television schools. The AFDA values are passion, self discipline, integrity, reliability and humility.
AFDA is inviting applications for the position of Student Affairs Officer [DBN]
Roles and Responsibilities
The incumbent, reporting to the Registrar, must be a dynamic, organised person with a proven Management background as well as experience in Administration. The Ideal candidate will have at least a graduate degree and relevant experience ideally in the entertainment management industry, but not necessary.
The specific roles and responsibilities include:
• Liaise regularly with students and act as a student mentor.
• Respond to a range of student enquiries by phone, email, and in person at the campus.
• Participate in various aspects of orientation preparation.
• Be knowledgeable and current on all Student policies.
• Student records and archives
• Student development
• Statutory compliance
• Bursary requirements and submissions
• AFDA training committee participation
• Minute-taking secretarial duties for all appropriate meetings
• Liaison with all appropriate departments.
• Student Withdrawals, Transfers and Deferments
• Entrance processes and facilitation
• Communication with students and parents
• Student Disciplinary Processes
• Student Enrolment & Access records
• Student Evaluation
• The AFDA Durban Campus is a busy and vibrant campus and successful applicants will need to work well under continuous pressure.
• UNDERGRADUATE QUALIFICATION or equivalent in relevant field.
• Established work experience.
• Industry and / or knowledge of the Film/Television and / or Performance industries
• AFDA employs candidates in line with the Employment Equity Act and as such preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from designated groups.
• Student-centered philosophy with sensitivity to diversity issues.
• Very customer service focused, with well-developed interpersonal, communication and relationship management skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Very good administrative, organisational and problem solving abilities
• Ability to work on own initiative and manage own priorities and workload.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Excellent computer skills, including knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook, Internet, WhatsApp etc., as well as ability to learn new software quickly.
• Flexibility and adaptability to change and new challenges.
• Excellent time and deadline management.
• A positive attitude.
• Highly team-orientated and prepared to assist fellow staff members in other division when needed
• Commitment to the AFDA values: Passion, Integrity, Self-discipline, Humility and Reliability.
Closing date: 15th October 2021 Applications must be submitted by email to Pamela Sehunoe [Pamela@afda.co.za] by the closing date. Applicants wishing to apply for this position are required to submit:
1. A letter of application and motivation, concisely detailing their suitability for the position.
2. A comprehensive and up to date curriculum vitae.
All applications will be treated as highly confidential. Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. If you have not been contacted within 2 weeks after the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was not successful.